Incantantrix (from the Player's Guide to Færûn)
Luck Die: d2.
To become an incantantrix, one must meet the following criteria:
- Skills: Concentration 4+ ranks, Knowledge: Arcana 8+ ranks, Spellcraft 8+ ranks.
- Feats: Iron Will and any one metamagic feat.
- Spellcasting: Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells.
- Special: Cannot have abjuration as a prohibited school.
- The incantantrix's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft: Any (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge: Arcana (Int), Knowledge: the Planes (Int), Profession: Any (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
- Note: Because the Three Worlds campaign uses the Skills by Character house rule, the list of class skills given here is only included for the sake of completeness, and is not used by characters in the campaign setting.
- Skill Points at each level: 2 + Intelligence modifier.
All of the following are class features of the incantantrix prestige class.
- Base Attack Bonus: Poor. An incantantrix gains +½ base attack bonus per class level.
- Base Fortitude Save Bonus: Poor. An incantantrix gains a +1⁄3 base Fortitude save bonus per class level.
- Base Reflex Save Bonus: Poor. An incantantrix gains +1⁄3 base Reflex save bonus per class level.
- Base Will Save Bonus: Good. An incantantrix gains +½ base Will save bonus per class level.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Incantatrixes gain no proficiency with any weapon, armor, or shield. Armor check penalties for armor heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble, and double the normal armor check penalty applies to Swim checks.
- Spells: When a new incantatrix level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class granted her access to 3rd-level arcane spells before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus metamagic or item creation feats, bard or assassin abilities, and so on), except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. This essentially means that she adds the level of incantatrix to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class granted her access to 3rd-level arcane spells, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.
- Bonus Metamagic Feat: At 1st level, and again at 4th, 7th, and 10th level, the incantatrix may select any metamagic feat as a bonus feat. She must meet any prerequisites for a feat in order to select it..
- Focused Studies (Ex): At 1st level, the incantatrix gives up a school of magic so as to focus more on the remaining schools. She must choose a school of magic other than abjuration or divination as a prohibited school. This prohibited school is in addition to any others already chosen due to school specialization. Thus, a specialized wizard taking this prestige class has three prohibited schools instead of two.
- Cooperative Metamagic (Su): At 2nd level, an incantatrix gains the ability to apply any metamagic feat she possesses (except Silent Spell, Still Spell, or Quicken Spell) to a spell being cast by a willing allied spellcaster. The caster need not prepare the spell in metamagic form or in a higher-level spell slot; the incantatrix simply modifies the spell during the casting. Using this ability is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity, just like casting a spell, though the incantatrix can use the Concentration skill with this ability as though she were casting defensively. The incantatrix must ready an action to use cooperative metamagic when her ally begins casting and must be adjacent to the caster. The incantatrix must make a Spellcraft check (DC 18 + [3 x modified spell level]) to succeed. "Modified spell level" is the level of the spell slot that the spell would occupy if it were prepared with the metamagic feat applied. Any spell level increases from metamagic feats that the caster applied also count toward the modified spell level. For example, if an incantatrix applies the Maximize Spell feat to an ally's chain lightning spell, the modified spell level is 9th (6th for the spell, +3 for the Maximize Spell feat), and the DC is 18 + (3 x 9) = 45. If she applies the same feat to an ally's silent chain lightning spell, the modified spell level is 10th and the Spellcraft DC is 48. An incantatrix can use this ability a number of times per day equal to (3 + her Intelligence modifier).
- Metamagic Effect (Su): At 3rd level, an incantatrix can attempt to apply a metamagic feat she possesses to a persistent spell effect that is already in place. For example, she could use Extend Spell to extend the duration of a wall of force or Maximize Spell to maximize the damage dealt by a cloudkill. To use this ability, the incantatrix must be adjacent to or within the spell effect and make a successful Spellcraft check (DC 18 + [3 x modified spell level]. "Modified spell level" is the level of the spell slot that the spell would occupy if it were prepared with the metamagic feat applied. Spell slot increases for metamagic feats that were applied to affect the spell's casting (such as Still Spell, Silent Spell, or Quicken Spell) do not count toward the modified spell level, but adjustments for metamagic that change the spell's effect (such as Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, or Widen Spell) do count.
- Metamagic Spell Trigger (Su): At 5th level, an incantatrix gains the ability to apply a metamagic feat she possesses to the effect of a spell trigger item (generally a wand). To use this ability, she must have the appropriate item creation feat to make the spell trigger item she is using. Using metamagic spell trigger expends a number of additional charges from the item equal to the number of effective spell levels the metamagic feat would add to a spell. For example, an incantatrix can use Quicken Spell to modify a spell cast from a wand by spending 5 charges (1 + 4 additional charges for the spell slot increase). Alternatively, she can apply Empower Spell to the effect by spending 3 charges, or trigger it silently by spending 2 charges. The Still Spell feat confers no benefit when applied to a spell trigger item.
- Seize Concentration (Su): At 6th level, an incantatrix gains the ability to wrest control of a spell that requires concentration (such as implosion, major image, or summon swarm) from another spellcaster within 30 feet. If the target spellcaster is willing, this transfer of concentration occurs automatically. Otherwise, the incantatrix and the target spellcaster make an opposed caster level check. A divine spellcaster receives a +2 bonus on this check. If the incantatrix wins, she gains control of the spell for as long as she maintains concentration or until the original spell duration expires. The spell functions as though the incantatrix were the caster (even if it is a spell she cannot cast), except that any variables determined when the spell was cast (including its caster level) remain as determined by the original caster. The original spellcaster can be affected by his own spell, though he receives a +2 circumstance bonus on any saving throw allowed against it. If the incantatrix allows her concentration to lapse before the spell duration expires, the original caster may reassert control over his spell by making a successful caster level check (DC 15 + spell level). If he fails to do so, no one controls the spell.
- Instant Metamagic (Su): Once per day, a 7th-level or higher incantatrix can apply a single metamagic feat she possesses to a spell without preparing it that way beforehand (if she prepares spells) or increasing its casting time (if she does not prepare spells). Thus, a wizard's prepared spell works as if she had prepared it with the metamagic feat, but it does not use a higher-level spell slot. A sorcerer or bard's spell is cast without adjusting its casting time, but it works as if he had cast it with the metamagic feat. A 9th-level incantatrix can use this power twice per day. The incantatrix cannot use this ability if the metamagicked spell would normally use a spell slot of a higher level than she can cast.
- Snatch Spell (Su): At 8th level, an incantatrix can attempt to seize control over a persistent effect created by another spellcaster. The effect must be one that does not depend on concentration but still relies on or responds to the caster's control (such as a summon monster spell or spiritual weapon, but not a wall of fire or acid fog). Furthermore, the effect (but not necessarily the spellcaster) must be within 30 feet of the incantatrix. The target spellcaster and the incantatrix make an opposed caster level check. A divine spellcaster receives a +2 bonus on this check. If the incantatrix wins, she gains control of the spell until its original duration expires. The spell functions as though the incantatrix had cast it, except that any variables determined when the spell was cast (including its caster level) remain as determined by the caster. The original caster can be affected by his own spell, though he receives a +2 circumstance bonus on any saving throw allowed against it. If the spell is dismissible and the incantatrix wishes to dismiss it, she must make a second successful opposed caster level check to do so. If she fails, the spell remains in effect and control reverts to the original caster.
- Improved Metamagic (Su): At 10th level, an incantatrix has mastered metamagic to such an extent that whenever she uses a metamagic feat, the required increase in spell level (if any) is reduced by one (minimum +1 spell level). For example, a wizard incantatrix could prepare a quickened fireball as a 6th-level spell instead of a 7th-level spell.
|Level||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||Bonus Metamagic Feat, Focused Studies||+1 level of existing arcane spellcating class|
|2nd||Cooperative Metamagic||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|3rd||Metamagic Effect||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|4th||Bonus Metamagic Feat||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|5th||Metamagic Spell Trigger||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|6th||Seize Concentration||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|7th||Bonus Metamagic Feat, Instant Metamagic (once per day)||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|8th||Snatch Spell||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|9th||Instant Metamagic (twice per day)||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|10th||Bonus Metamagic Feat, Improved Metamagic||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
Home Prestige Classes