Very rarely, a female duergar is born with the heavy frame of a male duergar, and these strong females are - if possible, even more ruthless and belligerent than the males. They are so exceptional, in fact, that they are exempted from the rigid striations of duergar society. They do not serve as slaves or bearers of children, but instead form a secret society of priestesses who serve Darmas as his ceremonial wives. These so-called brides of Darmas answer only to religious authorities and do not speak to anyone outside their tight-knit group. Adding to their mystique, they are never seen without a ceremonial head wrapping customarily worn by duergar and dwarven brides. This wrap, always dyed black for a bride of Darmas, obscures their features, making these enigmatic warriors even more mysterious.
Almost all brides begin their careers as barbarians, fighters, or warriors, or barbarians, but a small number train first as adepts, clerics, or favored souls.
Luck Die: d3.
To become a bride of Darmas, one must meet the following criteria:
- Skills: Knowledge: Religion 4+ ranks.
- Race: Duergar or dwarf
- Alignment: Any evil.
- Gender: Female.
- Base Attack Bonus: +5 or higher.
- Special: The bride must be a virgin who must take an oath of chastity and fealty to Darmas.
- The bride of Darmas's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft: Any (all skills taken individually)(Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge: Religion (Int), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).
- Note: Because the Three Worlds campaign uses the Skills by Character house rule, the list of class skills given here is only included for the sake of completeness, and is not used by characters in the campaign setting.
- Skill Points at each level: 2 + Intelligence modifier.
All of the following are class features of the bride of Darmas prestige class.
- Base Attack Bonus: Good. A bride of Darmas gains +1 base attack bonus per class level.
- Base Fortitude Save Bonus: Good. A bride of Darmas gains +½ base Fortitude save bonus per class level.
- Base Reflex Save Bonus: Poor. A bride of Darmas gains +⅓ base Reflex save bonus per class level.
- Base Will Save Bonus: Good. A bride of Darmas gains a +½ base Will save bonus per class level.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: brides of Darmas are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all armor, and with shields.
- Fearless (Ex): All brides are immune to fear, including magical fear. Allies within 10 feet of the bride gain a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. Granting the morale bonus to allies is a supernatural effect.
- Challenge Hero (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a bride may issue a ceremonial challenge to the leader of an enemy force. if no clear military leader is present, the DM chooses whom the bride may challenge instead according to the following priority: First, any opponent with the Leadership feat, then the opponent with the highest base attack bonus, and finally, if no opponent fits any of these other qualifications, the opponent with the highest Charisma ability score. The challenge itself is a mind-affecting compulsion effect that is not language-dependent. In most cases, a crooked finger or wave is enough to get the message across.
- Nameless (Su): At 3rd level, the brides identity continues to dissolve into the sisterhood. She loses her name, but gains a +4 resistance bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
- Smite Good (Su): At 4th. level, the bride gains the ability to focus her infernal husband's wrath into a devastating melee attack. once per day, she may add her Charisma modifier to her attack roll and deal 1 extra point of damage per bride class level. This ability functions only against good-aligned opponents. At 7th level and against at 10th level, the bride gains an additional daily use of this ability.
- Sisterhood (Su): As she is accepted into the secret society, the bride's physical uniqueness becomes less and less important. Their wrappings make all brides look the same, and their emotional bond makes them identical on a spiritual and mental level.
- Faceless (Su): At 6th level, the bride's physical identity is consumed by the totality of the group. She is no longer recognizable as an individual even with her wrappings removed, and gains a +4 resistance bonus on saves against all transmutation spells and effects.
- Side by Side (Ex): On attaining 9th level, brides think and act as one creature. As long as the bride is adjacent to any other bride (of any level), she gains a +2 insight bonus to attacks, Armor Class, saves, and skill checks.
|4th||Smite Good, once per day|
|5th||Sisterhood (saving throws)|
|7th||Smite Good, twice per day|
|8th||Sisterhood (hit points)|
|9th||Side by Side|
|10th||Smite Good, three times per day|
Home Prestige Classes