- Web Casting (Su): At 1st level, you gain the ability to throw a web. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets of up to Large size. The web anchors the target in place, allowing no movement. An entangled creature can escape with a Escape Artist check (DC 10 + ½ your sorcerer level + your Constitution modifier) or burst the web with a Strength check (DC 10 + ½ your sorcerer level + your Constitution modifier + 4). The web has 6 hit points, hardness 0, and takes double damage from fire. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.
- Spider Empathy (Su): At 3rd level, you gain this ability, which functions as a druid’s wild empathy, save that you can only use this ability on monstrous spiders. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. You roll 1d20 and add your sorcerer level and your Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result. Monstrous spiders are normally mindless, but this empathic communication imparts on them a modicum of implanted intelligence, allowing you to train them via Handle Animal. Spider empathy treats spider swarms as if they were one creature possessing a single mind. You can thus use this ability to influence and direct the actions of spider swarms.
- Move Like a Spider (Ex): At 9th level, you gain a climb speed equal to ½ your land speed. You get a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. You must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC higher than 0, but you can always choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If you choose to make an accelerated climb, you move at double your climb speed (or at its land speed, whichever is slower) and make a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. You retain your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus to their attacks against you. You cannot, however, use the run action while climbing. At 13th level, you gain immunity to entrapment by web spells or webs of any sort; you can actually move in webs at half your normal speed. You also gains a +2 bonus on all Fortitude saves against poison.
- Chitin Form (Sp): At 15th level, you can transform your skin into arachnid-like chitin. This grants you a +5 natural armor bonus to Armor Class and a +8 competence bonus on Acrobatics checks. As long as you stay in chitin form, you can cast web as a spell-like ability. You can maintain chitin form for a number of rounds per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.
- Venomous Magic (Su): At 20th level, any spell you cast that inflicts hit point damage also becomes infused with deadly poison. Creatures immune to poison are immune to venomous magic toxin.
Venomous Magic Toxin: type poison, injury; save Fortitude DC 10 + spell level + your Charisma modifier; initial and secondary damage 1d2 Dex.
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Campaign Design - Sorcerer Heritages: Spider-Blooded
The power of Gangyn flows through her favored servants the chitine, and has infected your bloodline. Her influence has given you a special relationship with spiders and infused you with spider-like abilities.
Heritage Arcana: You treat monstrous spiders as animals when targeting them with your spells. This can make them susceptible to mind-affecting spells, for example, even though they are vermin.
Heritage Powers: You gradually gain a strange affinity for monstrous spiders as well as spider-like powers.