You are able to create a mystical performance by playing an instrument.
Prerequisites: Bardic music ability, Perform: Musical Instrument 1+ ranks.
Benefit: You are able to use your bardic music abilities to create mystical performances by playing musical instruments. Some bardic music abilities require concentration, which means the bard must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability. While playing an instrument, the bard can usually move (depending upon the instrument in question) but cannot cast spells, engage in combat, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), or activate magic items by magic words (such as wands). Just as for casting a spell with a verbal component, a deaf bard has a 20% chance to fail when attempting to use mystical performance with a musical instrument. If he fails, the attempt still counts against his daily limit. In addition to the abilities listed below, you gain a +2 synergy bonus on Perform checks when using the following mystical performance effects: Effect Dampener, Effect Increase, Effect Magnification, and Effect Reduction.
Note: Throughout the descriptions in this feat, the term "Perform: Musical Instrument" is used. This is not a specific skill, but is rather a catch-all term that covers all Perform subcategories that involve playing a musical instrument. Thus, when "Perform: Musical Instrument" is used in this description, this could mean Perform: Bagpipes, Perform: Flute, Perform: Harp, Perform: Drum, Perform: Mandolin, Perform: Violin, Perform: Pipe Organ, and any other specific perform skill related to playing a musical instrument. To access the abilities granted by this feat, the bard must have the requisite ranks in one Perform skill associated with any one musical instrument. This, of course, does not preclude a bard from having ranks in more than one Perform skill associated with a musical instrument, but he gains no particular benefit from doing so.
- Eerie Chords (Su): A bard with 8 or more ranks in a Perform: Musical Instrument skill is able to create a disturbing, haunting tune that seems to drift easily on the wind. To use this ability, the bard must play his instrument quietly for a full round, at the end of which he may make a Perform: Musical Instrument check. Any creatures with at least Animal intelligence within 120 feet of the bard and unaware of his presence must make a Will save (DC equal to the bard's perform: Musical Instrument check result) or suffer from an unsettling anxiety when hearing the strange tunes. Such creatures are considered shaken for as long as they remain in the bard's presence and the bard continues to play.
- Stoking Song (Su): A bard with 8 or more ranks in a Perform: Musical Instrument skill can create a stirring song that ignites the passions and incites rage toward one's enemies. To use this ability, the bard must spend a full round playing a rousing battle song. At the end of that time, the bard makes a DC 15 Perform: Musical Instrument check. If the check is successful, the song inspires the bloodlust in the heart of any barbarian within 30 feet. The duration of any barbarian's current rage is extended for as long as the bard plays, to a maximum number of additional rounds equal to the bard's Charisma modifier (minimum of 1). This only affects barbarians who are already raging or who choose to enter a rage while the bard is playing; this ability cannot force a barbarian into an involuntary rage. Stoking Song is a mind-affecting ability.
- Centering Song (Su): A bard with 8 or more ranks in a Perform: Musical Instrument skill can create a gentle, soothing melody that calms the mind and allows greater concentration on delicate tasks. When this sone is performed, all creatures within 10 feet of the bards receive a competence bonus on any skill checks that require careful attention or fine manipulations including Balance, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Heal, Open Lock, Search, Use Magic Device, and Use Rope. Some uses of Spot (to read lips) and Survival (to intuit direction and other uses involving concentration and precision) also qualify for the bonus, as do any other skills as determined by the DM. The bard is unable to take any other actions while performing this song.
- Jarring Chords (Su): A bard with 8 or more ranks in a Perform: Musical Instrument skill can play this discordant tune. When performed, this song creates a painful, jarring tune that causes physical pain to all creatures within 20 feet of the bard. The pain is so intense that it can temporarily stun targets, rendering them incapable of performing any actions while the music persists. During the first round of this performance, the song is simply annoying and horribly discordant. During the second round and each round thereafter, the music rises in intensity until it becomes physically painful to be within range of the bard's music.
- Resonating Revelation (Su): A bard of 3rd level with 12 or more ranks in a Perform: Musical Instrument skill can perform a song that is capable of revealing secret doors, pit traps, and other structural features of an area. The song requires three rounds of constant playing to be useful; at the end of this time, the bard must make a Perform: Musical Instruments check with a DC equal to the most difficult Spot or Search DC for every trap, secret door, or other false structure in the area. The presence and location of one secret door, trap, or other false structure within 15 feet of the bard is revealed for every point of the bard's Charisma modifier (minimum of 1). When performing this song, the bard is unable to take any other action.
- Rejuvenating Melody (Su): A bard of 7th level with 15 or more ranks in a Perform: Musical Instrument skill is able to create a soothing song that reduces the severity of his companion's wounds and helping them rest. The performance of this song requires three full hours, during which the bard is incapable of taking any other action. Once the bard finishes his song, he must immediately rest for eight hours, so drained is he by the efforts of creating the soothing music.
- Song of Uncompromising Resolve (Su): A bard of 7th level with 15 or more ranks in a Perform: Musical Instrument skill can use their instrumental performance to aid their allies. One round after the performance begins, the bard must make a DC 20 Perform: Musical Instruments check. All allies within 30 feet gain a +4 bonus to any Will saves they make while they are within range of the bard playing this tune. In addition, affected allies gain a number of temporary hit points equal to the bard's class level. These hit points remain for one minute per point of the bard's Charisma modifier (minimum of 1) regardless of how long the bard continues to play, after which time they go away. All damage taken comes from these temporary hit points first. The bard may continue this performance for as many rounds as he likes (potentially granting the bonus to Will saves even after the temporary hit points have dissipated). Song of Uncompromising Resolve is a mind-affecting ability.
Home General Rules Special Feats Bard