Werecrocodile (adapted from Monsters of Færûn, Races of Færûn, Sandstorm, and Twisted Lore)
Werecrocodiles prefer to catch potential enemies unaware by assuming their human form and posing as harmless commoners. They change into crocodile form and attack as soon as their prey is within range. Werecrocodiles can assume both a hybrid form and an animal form. Many werecrocodiles prefer to lie in wait in bodies of water, using their Hide bonus to ambush opponents.
"Werecrocodile" is a template that can be added to any humanoid creature, that creature referred to hereafter as the "character". The werecrocodile takes on the characteristics of a crocodile, referred to hereafter as the "animal". Creatures with this template use all of the base creature's statistics and special abilities, except as noted here:
- Lycanthropic Affinity (Su): Werecrocodiles can communicate and empathize with normal, dire, or giant crocodiles. This gives them a +4 bonus on checks made to influence the crocodile's attitude and allows the werecrocodile to communicate simple concepts and (if the animal is friendly) commands to the animal, such as "friend", "foe", "flee", or "attack".
- Curse of Lycanthropy (Su): Any humanoid injured by a werecrocodile but not actually killed has a chance to contract lycanthropy after the encounter is over. This chance equals 1% per point of damage dealt by the lycanthrope's natural attacks; if several lycanthropes of the same type injure the character, add the chances together. Damage from different types of lycanthropes must be tracked separately. A character killed by a lycanthrope and then raised or resurrected has a 100% chance of contracting lycanthropy.
- Alternate Form (Su): All werecrocodiles can shift into the form of a crocodile and a crocodile-humanoid hybrid. Changing to or from animal or hybrid form is a full-round action. In hybrid form, a werecrocodile stands about 6 feet tall. It has the head, scales, claws, and tail of a crocodile, retaining a generally human bipedal shape. Its elongated reptilian arms and legs allow the werecrocodile to walk on two legs as well as grasp simple objects. Upon assuming natural form, the lycanthrope regains hit points as if having rested for a day. If slain, the lycanthropic creature reverts to its humanoid form, though it remains dead. A part of the body separated from the whole retains its natural form however. This shapeshifting ability can be difficult for some lycanthropes to control.
- Damage Reduction (Su): A werecrocodile's animal and hybrid forms gain damage reduction 15/silver.
- Low-Light Vision (Ex): The werecrocodile gains low-light vision in any form.
- Scent (Ex): The werecrocodile gains scent in any form.
- Hold Breath (Ex): A werecrocodile can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
- Improved Grab (Ex): When a werecrocodile makes a successful bite attack against an opponent of Large size or smaller, it can make a free grapple check without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it achieves a hold, it can drag the opponent away, dealing no damage. Its favorite tactic is to drag its prey into deep water, where it attempts to pin the opponent to the bottom. If it succeeds in pinning, it can deal bite damage each round it maintains the pin.
Lycanthropy As an Affliction
When a character contracts lycanthropy through a lycanthrope’s natural attacks (see above), no symptoms appear until the first night of the next full moon. On that night, the afflicted character involuntarily assumes animal form and forgets his or her own identity, temporarily becoming an NPC. The character remains in animal form, assuming the appropriate alignment, until the next dawn.
Changing form is a standard action. If the change is involuntary, the character performs the change on his next turn following the triggering event. An afflicted character who is not aware of his condition remains in animal form until the next dawn. An afflicted character who is aware of his or her condition (see above) can try to resume humanoid form following a change (voluntary or involuntary) with a Control Shape check, but if he fails his check, he remains in animal (or hybrid) form until the following dawn.
An afflicted character who eats a sprig of belladonna (also called wolfsbane) within 1 hour of a lycanthrope’s attack can attempt a DC 20 Fortitude save to shake off the affliction. If a healer administers the herb, use the character’s save bonus or the healer’s Heal modifier, whichever is higher. The character gets only one chance, no matter how much belladonna is consumed. The belladonna must be reasonably fresh (picked within the last week).
Werecrocodiles as Characters
Becoming a werecrocodile does not necessarily change a character’s favored class but usually changes alignment (see above). This alignment change may cause characters of certain classes to lose some of their class features.
- Abilities: +2 Wisdom. In crocodile or hybrid form the werecrocodile character gains +8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, and +6 Constitution.
- Size: Same as the base creature or the base animal form.
- Racial Hit Dice: A werecrocodile gains 3d8 racial hit dice. As a result of these hit dice, a werecrocodile has +2 Base Attack Bonus, +3 base Fortitude save bonus, +3 base Reflex save bonus, and +1 base Will save bonus.
- Racial Skills: A werecrocodile adds skill points for its animal Hit Dice. It gains skill points equal to (2 + Intelligence modifier, minimum 1) x 6. The werecrocodile's racial skills are Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Swim. The werecrocodile’s maximum skill ranks are equal to its animal form Hit Dice + its racial Hit Dice (if any) + its class levels + 3. Any racial skill adjustments of the werecrocodile’s base race and its animal form (but not conditional adjustments) are added to its skill modifiers in any form.
- Racial Feats: Werecrocodiles gain Skill Augmentation (Listen and Spot), Skill Focus (Hide), Power Attack, and Iron Will as bonus feats.
- +2 natural armor bonus in any form.
- Special Qualities: Alternate form (crocodile and crocodile-humanoid hybrid), crocodile empathy, curse of lycanthropy (in animal or hybrid form only), hold breath, improved grab, low-light vision, and scent. In addition, a werecrocodile gains damage reduction as follows:
- Afflicted lycanthrope: Damage reduction 5/silver (in animal or hybrid form only).
- Natural lycanthrope: Damage reduction 10/silver (in animal or hybrid form only).
- Automatic Languages: As base creature.
- Favored Class: Same as the base creature.
- Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +3 (afflicted) or +4 (natural).